My First Half Marathon

Well here it is– the race recap for my first half marathon!


Sunday morning was an earrrrrrrly morning. I woke up at 3:15, and hopped out of bed about 5 minutes later. I showered the night before, put together all my things {basically nothing– an ID, room key, and money!}, and laid out my outfit. I literally had to jump out of bed, put my outfit on, and stick the ID/money/key in my handy little zip-up pocket in the back of my leggings.

I drank a tiny bit of coffee, and ate a rice cake and banana. I wanted some peanut butter, but I didn’t bring any with me. My friend was actually supposed to bring the pb to complement the bananas and rice cakes but…. I guess I forgive her.

We then hopped on a bus and headed over to the race. Getting into the race was easy, but we did have to walk quite a while from the entrance to the bag check, and then even farther to the corrals. Luckily, we were there early enough to way 30 minutes on the bathroom line before heading over to our corrals.

This was the first half marathon that Krista and I have ever run, so we weren’t able to submit a time from a previous race. Unfortunately, that meant we were placed in – the last corral. By the time our corral took off, it was 6:40 {the first corral went at 5:30}, so we were standing around for quite a while.


That just gave us time for pictures! Two girls from my school were also at the race, and in our corral as well, so it was fun to hang out with them while we all waited.

Then- boom! We were off. Krista and I ran the first two miles together, but she decided to take a walking break at 2 miles. I didn’t train with a run-walk mentality, so I kept trucking on. It was unfortunate that we didn’t get to run the entire race together, but I think it was better for both of us in the end!

The first 8 miles were awesome. I did have to go to the bathroom though {after standing around for 70 minutes, these things happen} but I held off until mile 6, when we passed real bathrooms in Magic Kingdom. Around mile 9, I started to really struggle. My legs were not feeling it, and the idea of 4 more miles… that sounded pretty daunting. I chewed another energy gel {I also ate one at miles 3 & 6} and got as much water as possible. I was not about to start walking– I knew I wouldn’t start again. Plus, I am a little competitive with myself, and I really wanted to finish under a 10 min/mile pace. At first I was just going to see what happened, and I was actually doing perfectly– about 9:56/mile. Then around mile 9-10 I got held up but a lot of crowding, and added time by trying to weave around people. My pace went up to an average of 10:01/mile! Well, I couldn’t let myself get that close and not make it! When I got to mile 11, I picked it up a little bit, until we hit a huge hill which almost killed me. When I saw the mile 12 sign… it was too good to be true! I held in there. When the volunteers shouted out to us that we were in the last .5 mile… I was ecstatic. I picked it up and crossed the finish line with the HUGEST smile across my face. I got in with a 9:55 pace and was completely satisfied with that.


The race started off going down a road {one of the highways that run through Disney}. We then passed through the Magic Kingdom, back on the roads for a few more miles, and finally mile 12-13.1 took us through and behind Epcot.

The setup of this race was absolutely amazing. Water/powerade stations, bathrooms, and medical tents every few miles.  There were volunteers all over the place, characters dressed up, and lots of people cheering on the sidelines. For my first half marathon, I would definitely say this was a great choice! The constant encouragement and sights really helped me through.

The only negative was the crowding. There were about 20,000 people running this race, and the roads were packed. I assumed it would thin out a little after the first few miles, but it never did. I spent a lot of effort moving around people or just trying not to trip over anyone. My MapMyRun actually said that I had run 13.84 miles!

Highlights from the rest of the day:

1. Lunch {/really breakfast…}: Salad and french fries.


2. Sporting our medals in Downtown Disney.


3. Ice cream was the perfect treat.


4. Dinner, delicious. ALso- not pictured are the block of fudge Krista and I shared, and the chocolate covered pineapple wedge. Delicious!



9 thoughts on “My First Half Marathon

  1. I am so PROUD of you!! Finishing a long race is always such a huge accomplishment and makes you realize that you are stronger than you think!! [Do you have the race bug now? I know after my first I was ready to start signing up for every race]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s