As I mentioned, I was just traveling for the past 3 weeks. For many people, vacation can mean 5, even 10 pounds gained- ah! Of course, you don’t want to forego the relaxation and delicious treats of wherever you may be traveling to! So how do you make it all work and not come back with regrets on either end? These are some tips I try to employ on vacation to stay healthy and feeling great!
1. Your hotel has a fitness center- get there!
- Just going to the fitness center will encourage you to do something. Even if you can’t fit in a full body workout, 15-30 minutes at the beginning or end of the day can make a difference!
2. Get up 30 minutes before everyone else and get moving!
- Take this extra time to run, walk, anything! Get your body moving, and you’ll start the day out on the right foot. Plus, I always find that working out first thing puts me in a healthier mood all day, and makes me want to eat better to fuel my health.
3. Walk to your sights!
- When visiting a new city, most of the places you visit won’t be more than 1-1.5 miles away from each other. That’s a 20-30 minute walk that will not only be good for you, but it also allows you to see the city you’re in!
4. Indulge- a little.
- Traveling is a time to try new things, experience the local people, culture and of course FOOD! Don’t miss out on local specialties to save calories. Instead, save your indulgences for things you can’t try other places, and if possible, try to split heavier dishes with your friends/family. That way everyone is getting a taste, without weighing yourself down!
Overall- try not to fret too much! You don’t want to look back on your vacation and have regrets because you spent the whole time worrying about weight! If you workout a bit and eat mostly healthy, you’ll return no worse for wear, and with happy memories of a carefree adventure!